Why I Keep Sharpie Markers Around

It amazed me how one simple product had so many uses. When I was a kid, mom had one Sharpie and it was solely to label our backpacks. That was it.


At my house, the lowly black Sharpie has been elevated to a higher standard of labeling. Here are several uses in our lives.
  1. Write the cell phone number on my toddlers forearm. If he got lost at a large festival, he showed a person in authority his mom's phone number. What three year old knows his parent's number? Plus, a baby wipe cleaned it off. 
  2. Label, label everything that needs to be returned from school. From the backpack, lunch bag, water bottle and plastic folders. Sharpies write on everything and rarely rub or wash off. Golden! 
  3. Vacuum seal bags for the freezer. Have you tried to write on the slippery bags? Pen and pencil markings rub off due to condensation. 
  4. Favorite black shoes/boots that are scuffed, again. A little swipe of the magic Sharpie and the white scuff is gone. Works on fabric shoes also.
  5. My cousins and I swap shrink wrapped bags of kids clothes. To stay organized each clear bag had a sheet of paper tucked inside that detailed the size and gender. I used a pen but the ink either smeared or faded due to the attic heat. Plus, a black marker on white paper had the perfect contrast in a low light. 
  6. My youngest had the hardest time figuring out which shoe fit on the "right foot." I marked pointing arrows on the inside of the shoes. Then I told him to have the arrows touch and he knew which way to put his shoes on. Saved many a frantic mornings. 
  7. Forget fancy mason jar labels. The lids are designed for one use, so I marked this instead. My mother-in-law taught me this one. Thanks Jan!
  8. My hubby created a custom growth chart with a simple wood board, ruler and sharpie. Each kids' birthday is marked - even their first day on earth. The best part is if we ever move, it can come with us to our new home. 
  9. Last year I would not let my oldest paint her nails. In defiance, she grabbed her marker set along with my Sharpie and created nail art. 
Other interesting tidbits on Sharpies.
  • Hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol removed permanent marker from drywall and plaster walls. I know from experience.
  • Sharpie does not make a white marker but does have a total of 31 different colors. 
Do you have any other uses for a Sharpie Marker? If so what?

Sharon, The Mayor

Comments

Popular Posts